What is Carbon monoxide (CO) and Why is it so Dangerous:
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous, colorless, odorless and tasteless gas. What makes it even more dangerous is that Carbon Monoxide (CO) is often mixed with other gases that do have an odor. As a consequence, you can inhale carbon monoxide right along with gases that you can smell and not even know that CO is present.
Carbon monoxide poisoning may occur quicker in those more susceptible to injury such as young children, the elderly, people with lung or heart disease, people at high altitudes, or those who already have elevated CO blood levels, such as smokers. Also, CO poisoning poses reproductive risks, including special risk to women who are pregnant and their unborn. CO poisoning can be reversed if caught in time, however, even if you recover, acute poisoning may result in permanent damage to parts of your body such as your heart and brain. Carbon monoxide actually steals oxygen from your blood and can cause asphyxiation and death.
What are the Symptoms of Carbon monoxide (CO) Poisoning:
When you inhale Carbon monoxide (CO) it displaces oxygen in the blood and deprives the heart, brain and other vital organs of oxygen. Initial symptoms of CO poisoning may include chest tightness and pain, headache, fatigue, dizziness, confusion, muscle weakness, drowsiness, or nausea. Significant exposure to CO can overcome you in minutes and without warning you could lose consciousness and suffocate. Symptoms of CO poisoning range differently between individuals.
How to Avoid CO Poisoning:
• Never use a portable generator inside homes, garages, crawlspaces, sheds or similar areas. Deadly levels of carbon monoxide can quickly build up in these areas and can linger for hours, even after the generator has shut off.
• A generator should be used only in a well ventilated outdoor location, away from windows, doors and vent openings.
• Make sure all fuel-burning, vented equipment is vented to the outside to avoid CO poisoning.
• Keep the venting for exhaust clear and unblocked.
• If you need to warm up a vehicle, remove it from the garage once you turn it on, regardless if the garage doors are open.
• Remember to check all smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors throughout your home or apartment and replace batteries every six months to ensure they are in working condition.
The Dangers of Using Space Heaters:
This winter was unseasonably cold in Los Angeles and California. Space heater usage was on the rise. As a consequence, both the City and County of Los Angeles as well as the State of California saw an increase in resulting house and apartment fires and increased instances of Carbon monoxide (CO) poisonings. When Operating a Space Heater:
• Do Not use portable propane space heaters indoors or in any confined space unless they are specifically designed for indoor use.
• Place the space heater on a surface or floor that is level, hard, and nonflammable.
• Keep the space heater is at least three feet away from bedding, drapes and furniture or. any flammable materials.
• Keep children and pets away from space heaters.
• Always turn off heaters when you leave the room.
• Never leave a space heater on when you go to sleep and keep it a safe distance from your children and family members.
What to do if Your CO Alarm Goes off:
• Immediately move to a fresh air location. Make sure everyone inside the home is accounted for and safe.
• Call 9-1-1 or the Fire Department from a fresh air location. Remain there until emergency personnel arrive to help you
More safety topics and tips can be found at https:// wwwfire.lacounty.gov.
The Law Requires Installed and Working Carbon monoxide (CO) and Smoke Detectors:
In Los Angeles and for the entire State of California, the law requires that every home, apartment and multi-home dwelling have installed a working Carbon monoxide (CO) and Smoke Detectors. It is illegal for a landlord not to install and maintain these detectors.
Monetary Recovery For Injuries Resulting from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:
As mentioned in this article, Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning can cause serious and permanent injury. If you or your loved ones have been exposed and injured by Carbon Monoxide poisoning, smoke inhalation, exposure to other forms of gas leaks, or other unhealthy and unsafe apartment conditions, immediately call or email the Law Office of Frederick S. Schwartz and speak directly with the Attorney for a free initial consultation and evaluation of your claim. Tel. (818) 986-2407; (800) 994-4442; email: Fred@FssLawOffice.com
See the below links for other important information on this topic.